The Twine forums are now archived. If you need help, please visit http://help.supermechanical.com

Can I have Twine work with multiple wifi networks?

Does Twine need to stay in the same wifi network to continue working, or can it switch between different networks (by remembering multiple ones) depending on what's available?

Best Answer

Answers

• cool -- thinking of it in the context of bringing it between two different locations on a regular basis and having the device being able to connect at both places.

is having 3 networks max a big technical limitation?
  • supporting two networks gets me 90% of what I need; unfortunately the next step above two is "lots," so two would be a most welcome improvement!
  • This will be fantastic- Our home Wifi is, for reasons I am unsure of, separated into three different networks. I am certain the reason is very clever, but it makes using the Twine more of a challenge.
  • Two would help me too... I was planning on using it at home, and at work (a hospital) to send alerts to my Droid in case I need to step out of the ER for a few minutes and something requires my immediate attention. I really could use a 2nd network that it can remember, so I don't have to reconfigure it twice a day.
  • I have three access points in my house, each with the same SSID but different channels (1, 7 and 12). Looking at the Twine static IP setup procedure, I see each channel as a separate network. Not good. Twine should see these channels as a single network and switch between them, according to signal strength.
  • So does this mean I may actually still have the Twine connecting to my upstairs router even though it's on the same network as the router closer to the basement which is extending the range of my network? I didn't see any way to tell it which router to connect to, just which network.

Maybe I need more support getting this set up.
  • @David Albert, when I used the default twinesetup.com connect procedure, the dropdown list of available networks listed THREE of the same name, one for each of my access points. In the static IP setup procedure, the channels are listed as well.

As things stand, I do not think Twine has the ability to group multiple access points (with common SSID) as a single network. So, moving the Twine to a different location within range of the same network, it would NOT automatically switch to the strongest AP signal.
  • Ok. I'm really going to need some one-on-one help with this. My Airport Extreme says it is broadcasting on channels 149 and 11. My Airport Express says it is broadcasting on channel 11. It is set to "Extend a wireless network" and the "Wireless Network Name" is the same for both devices, although the name of the device itself is unique.

The Express does list one wireless client but I don't know if that is the Twine. (If it isn't, then I'm not sure what it is).

I wish I could actually reach someone in tech support for help.
  • @David Albert, I'm no expert but I believe WiFi extenders (with the same SSID) ideally operate on different channels (to avoid interference). I believe channels are normally numbered 1 thru 12 (or 14, in Europe), so I'm not sure what channel 149 is on your set up. I know nothing of Apple products.

I suggest you take a look at the Twine support page describing Static IP set up, as this includes a step in which you can see the channels available and their respective signal strengths (choose the one with -xx dBm value closest to zero). Link, http://help.supermechanical.com/kb/using-twine/static-ip-for-twine
  • Comparing this to my Android devices, for instance, they are able to switch between channels, provided the SSIDs are same across all APs. I do sometimes have to manually switch them via an app, but generally they seem to do it for themselves.
  • I would love to make the TWINE portable by hooking it up with multiple WiFi's, but if that's not in the cards, I suppose my MiFi HotSpot will work temporarily.
  • Extenders need to use different channels, and some use a different SSID, something like <SSID of primary router-EXTENDED, although you can edit that. However, there's seems to be no way around this meaning, literally, separate networks. I ran into the same issue with Apple Airplay speakers, which can only connect to one network at a time, and hence do not automatically connect to extenders when they are moved.
  • SM have said that they will support 3 networks eventually, but there's coding and bug's to fix in the WiFi module to make this happen.

I'm hoping they allow it to use Wireless N, I'm pretty sure the module is capable.
    I'm also hoping it can detect if a network has internet access, and if not it will try the next.
    Ideally it'll connect to the strongest network with actual internet access. Perfect!
  • If one uses a range extender on a home network, the range extender is technically a different network with a different SSID, and so the ability to move between networks would be useful even in a large house. Eg, in my case, the signal on the back patio is much improved by having a range extender at that side of the house, allowing me Internet access from the garden on a portable and on a an iPad.