The Twine forums are now archived. If you need help, please visit http://help.supermechanical.com

Mounting options (or insulation)

To mount Twine on my garage door I settled on slipping a metal strap up the back and screwing one end of it onto the door. Command strips wouldn't stick to Twine's outer jacket, and I want to be able to change the batteries easily. But the strap shorted the battery terminal solder points, so I've had to jury-rig some insulation there.

I get that this is a very DIY product, but as we find more more and better uses for it it'll get taken up by folks who will need a little more handholding. So a bracket that grips the sheath, or even just some protection for the back of the board, would be nice.

Answers

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • This is a good topic. We were trying to think of good mounting options to mold into the case, but couldn't come up with anything feasible in the time we had. (Though you can put a nail through the hole.)

Maybe it'd help if we release a 3D model of the inner case, for the 3D printer/Shapeways aficionados to design their own sleeves?
  • For some odd reason I thought the Twine had an internal magnet so it could just stick to things. Much to my surprise it didn't when I pressed it against my fridge and let go, thank God for the rubber jacket.
  • Too funny Tim! But a magnet would be a cool idea.
    Would a magnet mess with the inner-workings of the Twine?
  • I have access to a laser cutter & 3d printers at my hackerspace, and I'd be happy to play around w/ some options if there was access to the model of the existing case so I don't have to reinvent the wheel as far as that goes :)
  • A simple clip with both cable tie mounts, and screw holes would suffice for most people. Let's keep the ideas simple and universal to suit many applications.
  • There are four rectangular vents or holes at the top of the Twine. It seems like with some finesse you could thread a straightened-out paperclip through the center two to make a hanger of sorts.
    I'll bring mine to work today and raid the office supplies to see what might work. The white housing pops off with relative ease, and with a sharp knife or file you could rub down pieces of the honey comb structure inside to accommodate the paperclip without interference.